Remaining consistent with good dental practices like brushing your teeth twice a day and seeing our Maryland dentists are vital for a healthy smile and overall well-being. Following a consistent dental routine can prevent dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, and bad breath. And there’s always room to improve! If you’re looking to improve your dental routine, here are three easy tips to help you achieve a brighter and healthier smile.
1. Brushing Techniques
Proper brushing is crucial for removing plaque and food particles from your teeth. Start with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Then, follow these steps for two minutes twice a day:
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against your gums
- Use gentle, circular motions to brush the outer and inner surfaces of your teeth
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath
2. Flossing Techniques
Flossing is an essential step that many people overlook. It helps remove plaque and food particles from areas a toothbrush can’t reach, such as between the teeth and the gumline. Follow these guidelines to improve flossing in your dental routine:
- Use a generous amount of floss, approximately 18 inches long
- Gently slide the floss between your teeth, curving it around each tooth in a C shape
- Use a clean section of floss for each tooth to avoid spreading bacteria
3. Incorporate Modern Dental Care
It’s easy to quickly brush and floss your teeth for the sake of time. However, modern dental care now includes great devices like electric toothbrushes, a variety of floss, flavored or tooth-sensitive toothpaste, and more! While there is nothing that replaces a rigid dental routine, incorporating modern elements like mouthwash or an electric toothbrush with a built-in timer, you can easily improve your dental routine!
Schedule a Dental Appointment at Three Creek Dentistry
At Three Creek Dentistry, we want to help you maintain a healthy smile. From treating dental emergencies to providing personalized oral health advice, our team is here to support you. To learn more ways to improve your dental routine or schedule an appointment for a teeth cleaning and exam, get in touch with our office today!